Old 02-06-2005, 01:15 PM

my favourite tomato experiance so far (in my short growing experiance)
was last year have a tomato salad of yellow-orange sungella, orange-red
gardeners delight and red-pink tumbling toms. A feast for the eyes as
well as for the tum. From now on im going to try and get as much colour
and variety into my tomato crop as possible.
sarah

Harold Walker wrote:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

:: I really can't let that pass unremarked: Moneymaker, if given
:: loving care and lots of proper feed is almost edible, otherwise
:: it's about as appetising as a wet dishcloth. In my estimation it's
:: a weed.
::
Each to his own I suppose! - I like MM in cooked dishes, especially
curries
and chillis....I've grown Shirley this year and they are a good all round
tom, cooking, salads sandwiches etc - I've never actually grown MM, but
my
dad used to grow them on and off along with a few other varieties.

Try Romano (plum) tomatoes for cooking - they knock seven varieties of
spots off Moneymaker.

:: Shirley though, is excellent. Alicante (in the Moneymaker family)
:: is also IMO of good flavour. I don't like the little tomatoes much
:: as the skins tend to be very tough.
::

I like a tomato with a bit of tang, hence my recommendation for partially
ripened ones with melted cheddar!

Shirley has a tang (and flavour) when ripe, as does Ailsa Craig.

--
Rusty

Miracle Sweet has a real nice flavor sweetish but with just the right amount
of tang.........H
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/