Old 02-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Jim Lewis

Beckenbach,Joseph R wrote:

Since the late spring pinch (which I actually did mid-May since the
plant was growing so strongly), the growth has been tremendous, with
some of the shoots extending over two feet. And it's still late spring.
With the strength of the plant, should I pinch again or just let it go
until August? I'm rubbing out buds on the trunk and removing downward
growing shoots, but leaving sideways and upward growing shoots on the
limbs. I expect to put it into a deep training/show pot next spring
styled as an upright (it's about 30" tall without the foliage). Any and
all thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks and have fun - jay

I wouldn't worry about by-the-book this year, but would keep
on cutting it back to just a few nodes. Give it LOTS of
water and hold back on the nitrogen-heavy fertilizer. You
want to get roots now, not branches or leaves. So a 2-15-15
or something similar would be best.

Don't be impatient with it now, but put it into a deep, wide
pot for a couple of years and work on between three and
five branches.

I suspect that upright will not be the ultimate shape for
this tree. Wisteria are too leggy and "viny" to even hope
to keep them as uprights. Cascades and semi-cascades are
typical, and I suspect almost always, the shape these trees
do best in.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of
nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you (that) the
berries are just about all gone. -- Uncle Dave Macon, musician

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++