Old 02-06-2005, 04:22 PM
simy1

Ottawa wrote:
I am new to gardening. For the first time in my life I planted some cherry
tomatoes, big boy tomotoes, bush beans, eggplant and zucchini. All in pots
as my wife doesn't want to dig up our yard. Anyhow, this year I bought most
of my plants and transplanted them into the pots. I also grew some tomatoes
and bush beans from store bought seeds though. If I wanted to somehow save
the seeds from these plants to replant next year, how do I go about doing
it? Thanks

1) you use only varieties that are OP (open pollinated). You can't save
big boys because
they are F1 (hybrid, will not come true). Many of the cherry varieties
are OP.
2) you google "saving vegetable seeds" to find out how to preserve each
type of seeds.
Tomatoes need a little work, beans and zucchini are a snap. You always
dry them thoroughly before putting away. You keep them all in a ziploc
bag in the freezer to make sure they last a long time. I am still
planting savoy cabbage from 2000.

I plant everything from seed. I find it an enjoyable part of the work,
not to mention it brightens those dreary late winter/early spring days.
Most garden centers have the trays to start seedlings.