Old 02-06-2005, 04:45 PM
mark Bannister

What everyone also needs to remember is marketing, distribution and
perceived value. Golf ball makers are great at marketing the same
product under different names to different markets and very different
prices. The very same golf ball you buy at Wally World for $.25 may be
sold at a high end golf shop for $2.00 a pop. Same ball, different
package and very different marketing techniques.
While the Wally world ball may get no marketing, the high end ball may
be sponsoring a televised golf tournament. It also has a much nicer
package. But the biggest factor is that folks at the high end golf
store aren't there to buy 25 cent golf balls and they won't.

I'm not defending overpriced resellers (I've seen the same items vary in
price by factors of 3 or more), but you are talking very low volumes and
a niche market. To market a bag of clay to Koi folks is a much
different thing than marketing to cat lovers.

Mark B.