Old 02-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article m,
VX wrote:

I recently went back and looked at a place I lived in previously where I had
panted some regular rose rugosas several years ago. In each case, there were
several separate stems coming from the ground, presumably all from the one
root system in each case.

This is how perennials spread but I suppose many roses could spread in
exactly the same way. I'm just thinking aloud, but wondering how many other
shrub/species roses do this. I'm all for it as it means a hedge can become
denser at the base from new low growth, so its definitely a good thing...

It is a pain in the neck when a grafted hybrid dies and you try to
get rid of its rootstock. There is one that I have been trying to
deal with for over 5 years ....

I think that it is the dog rose, but wouldn't bet on it. Anyway,
you are quite right that some roses do sucker and others don't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.