Old 02-06-2005, 10:49 PM
MPost

Pat,

Thanks for the confirmation. It's funny...my kerria is so small and spindly,
I wasn't sure it was a shrub either. I think I may move it after all to a
place that is not quite so shady.

Thanks again.

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
MPost said:

All,

Thanks for the help identifying these plants.

Rose of Sharon sounds right on the money for the first plant (the pic of
the
seed pod). It doesn't die back to the ground during the winter.

As for the yellow flower, here are a few pics of the leaves.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoVie...13258108&photo

id=79120329108
http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoVie...258108&photoid

=99120329108&&refreshk
ey=1117629507883

Timothy suggested this might be a kerria which, after looking at some
pictures on-line, looks like it might fit my plant. It looks like the
kerrias prefer partial shade, which means I shouldn't transplant it into a
brighter area as I was planning on. However, I'm at a loss as to what I
can
do to get this plant to grow a little more vigorously...it doesn't seem
too
happy where it is.

Thoughts?

AH, I thought the second was a perennial plant, not another shrub. By
the leaves and flowers, kerria it is.

The nicest specimens I've seen have been at the edge of high tree
canopies (bright, dappled shade with some direct morning or evening
sun) and uncrowded by other shrubs.

(attributed to Don Marti)