Old 29-09-2002, 11:22 PM
Warwick

Default Cast iron lawn roller

Begin ,
quote...
Not strictly a gardening item--but I inherited with my house (it was too
heavy for the owner to remove) a cast iron lawn roller, filled, I am
guessing, with cement. Having recently painted it, I find that it makes an
attractive garden ornament, and have begun to wonder who made it and how old
it is. The cast iron logo on the handle says "New Crown Roller" and "Trade
Mark Crown". I have not had any success with the usual searches, and am
wondering whether anyone may know anything about the company (Crown?) who
manufactured it. I am guessing that it is probably pre 1930s.

I can't find anything specific, but those things can date back to the
early 19th century and a good early example is worth a couple of hundred
quid.

That's a bugger to search on.. I keep getting offers for paint

Warwick