Old 02-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article m,
VX wrote:

In my new garden, where the previous owner had everything hacked down to the
ground by scythe before leaving, there are a lot of big fat and fast-growing
rose shoots coming from a huge trunk, looks very much like a big old graft
rootstock with none of the original top on it. I'm leaving it for now in case
it turns out to be something I might quite like to have a huge vigourous bush
of. The "trunk" is over 6" across so it was really something, once apon a
time. If it isn't at all desirable i will utilise glyphosphate to extinguish
it, assuming it works on, er, trees.

That is indeed impressive. Most of the rootstock roses are decorative,
though perhaps not enough to want a bush that size! Still, it might
be something on its own roots.

Glyphosate does work on woody plants, but you may have to use it quite
a few times.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.