Old 03-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Julia Altshuler

Doug Kanter wrote:

The primary means is obvious: Don't plant cucurbits (squash, melon,
cucumbers) in the same place each year. The bug overwinters in the soil, so
move the plants around. And, in northern states, it says only one generation
is produced each year. So, what might help is to plant more seeds after you
put the first plants in the ground. The second crop will probably reach
production age after the borer is gone for the season.

Let me make sure I understand this. Last year I bought new dirt and put
it in a half barrel and planted zucchini in it which was destroyed by a
squash vine borer. The barrel was placed in the front of my yard where
there's excellent sun and enough space. If I remove the dirt from the
barrel and spread it around the hidden vegetable garden on the side of
the property where the kale, peppers, basil, tomatoes, and eggplant are
and where the raspberries are taking over, then put new dirt in the
barrel, is that considered moving the cucurbits around enough? The
barrel itself would stay in the same place. This is an ordinary
suburban house with a yard so there isn't a great deal of space to move
things around in.

The back is shaded by trees so no vegetables there. The side was the
obvious place for vegetables, but since the neighbors put up a second
story, the sun isn't perfect though still pretty good. The front is
sloped, and besides, we want grass and flowers there, and the other side
is along a busy-ish street. That's where the current squash barrel is.
I suppose I could put vegetables there, but that would be a big
project involving digging up grass and improving soil, more than I want
to get into for this year.

(I know these sound like stupid questions, but I'm asking them sincerely.)

--Lia