Old 03-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 00:17:56 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Crag gansburg-dot-01-at-zen-dot-co-dot-uk contains these words:

I've moved into a house that's got a nice, neat, well maintained conifer
hedge at the front of the garden (approx 6ft high). Now I gather that the
area underneath these trees is usually a no go area for other plants, but
is there anything I can plant under them that will grow up through and
provide such much needed colour and flowers?

Wisteria.

NO! The OP says he has a "Neat, well maintained hedge". Any plant
growing through it needs to allow the hedge to be trimmed, and needs
to die back in winter.
Tropaeolum will not do on his clay soil. How about nasturtiums which
can be pulled out in autumn, though he might have a bit of a mess if
they get frosted.
Morning glory would do also.

Pam in Bristol