Old 15-10-2002, 05:57 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Snowdrops

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:50:51 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

My better half informs me that snowdrops are _much_ better planted as plants
rather than bulbs (bulbs are 'a waste of time' apparently). I have responded
that one gets better snowdrops from bulbs rather than nothing, since I have
never seen snowdrop plants for sale and anyway its the wrong time of year
for the plants now if we want snowdrops next spring. Are the bulbs really 'a
waste of time?' Feel free to increase marital discord by replying, as long
as it supports my POV of course :-)

Secretly buy the bulbs, pot them up in clean sand, water once,
and keep them in a coldframe for the winter, sheltered from
excessive moisture and the worst cold of winter. Some will
flower, others will not, but most of the bulbs will plump up and
at least grow. Potting or planting weak bulbs in sand for a
season is a very old trick, nothing new, btw.

In the spring, you can then surprise the light of your life with
pots full of snowdrops "in the green" for his/her delectation.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada