Old 03-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Harold Walker

"Klara" wrote in message
In message , Alan Gould
writes
I read on this group that you should nip the top off your tomato plants
after four trusses have set. Could someone please clarify what this means
please, I'm sure it doesn't mean after four branches off the main stem??

No, it means what it says, after four trusses of tomatoes have set. Doing
that helps the ripening of tomatoes already on the plant. We do it because
by that time, outdoor tomatoes will be cropping, so we are able to clear
out indoor tomato plants to make space for overwinter crops.
--

I don't miss very much about the years I lived near New York - but oh my,
how the tomatoes ripened there! Hundreds of them on each plant! And never,

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

And in a good summer as many as a dozen hands or more of tomatoes will
ripen outdoors....H