Old 04-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

"Tom Atkinson" wrote in message
I was wondering what is the best way to take clematis cuttings and how
successful that can be.
Tom Atkinson

Well I expect about 100% to root after 21 days, the earlier you take them
the better as its the next bit which is more difficult (getting them to grow
on) I normally lose a few during their first year. the more established they
are before winter the less likely you are to lose them. rooted cuttings need
a years growing on before moving to their final size container and a further
6 months or so in that before planting out. a well established root system
is very important.
If you have bottom heat start in February if not wait till May/June.

Charlie, do you cover yours until striking? I've found a few things rot
off now that I've got bottom heat. I used to strike my cuttings in a
large open deep box with no heat but didn't cover and got quite a high
percentage of successful cuttings.
Now I've got the heat it seems that cuttings don't like being covered
AND heat!

janet
--
Janet Tweedy