Old 04-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Spider

sarasara wrote in message

Spider Wrote:
Jupiter wrote in message
...-
On Tue, 24 May 2005 19:49:55 GMT, Steve Newport
wrote:
-
What is the best way to take a cutting from a wild elderbeery tree to
plant into the garden?-

Aaargh! Horrible invasive things with a rank smell that make a
terrible mess. Very nice in a wild hedgerow. Best left there.
-

Perhaps Steve would like a wild hedgerow complete with elderberry.
They
*are* somewhat invasive, though. I wanted elderberry for my woodland
garden
but, as another poster suggested, I got two different cultivated forms.
The
nearest to the wild form (of those I have) is Sambucus nigra
variegata.
Perfectly good plant for wildlife.

Certainly there's no need for cuttings. I suspect, anyway, that they
would
not 'take' very well due to the hollow-stem contruction. Seed is quite
the
best way to start off the wild form, if that is still wanted. Once
germinated, they'll grow so fast you'll think you fed them with rocket
fuel.
Don't though. :~))

SpiderDoes it make good privacy hedging in winter? I have a good spot I

could
plant but to hide a farmyard from my garden?
thanks,
sara.

--
sarasara

Hi Sara,
No, I wouldn't want to count on it for privacy in winter. In summer, it
makes a fairly good screen, but it is deciduous.
Spider