Old 04-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Sterling

I learned that even though my hydrangea looks like it dies back, it
hasn't. I was trimming back the 'deadwood' making it look neater in the
winter. Turns out it only appeared to have died back. One year I did not
trim it back, and all the dead looking branches leafed out and I got
lots of blooms. Can't say this is true for yours as I don't know what
kind I have. It has big blue blossom heads though.

Found out this was true on sour-grape Penstemon also. Don't cut back!

I am in a warmer zone but it does get really cold here. 18-24 degrees in
the winter. So lots of stuff does die back and does look neater after a
trim.

Sterling in Atlanta

Kayla wrote:

I uncovered my hydrangea bush and planted it upright this year and I
have leaves on the stems now. I live in zone 5 and the plant dies
back to the ground in the winter and since blossoms form on last years
branches I never got blooms. I buried it in a foot of soil over the
winter and have hopes of getting those nice blue blooms that were on
the plant when I bought it years ago. Has anybody tried this and
succeeded?

Lori