Old 04-06-2005, 10:49 PM
David Bockman

"Newsgroups" wrote in
oups.com:

Hi all,
I'm seeking advice. I'm new to gardening. I have many hostas in my
garden and I'm looking to divide/moved some to another area in the
garden. How do I divide it? Do I have to get it from the root? I
tried but found it very difficult.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

"New to Gardening"

It's really very easy. The quickest way I've found is to use one of those
bulb planter hand tools like this one:

http://www.santarosagardens.com/Prod...-planter-1.jpg

You simply drive it into the rootmass, being at least slightly careful to
get 3-5 shoots of growth. You also have the added benefit of being able to
pop out the exact size whole you need into which you will transplant your
division.

You can also use a sharp spade, a 'hori hori' digging tool, a big serrated
knife...

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums