Old 05-06-2005, 02:45 AM
Vox Humana

"Newsgroups" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,
I'm seeking advice. I'm new to gardening. I have many hostas in my
garden and I'm looking to divide/moved some to another area in the
garden. How do I divide it? Do I have to get it from the root? I
tried but found it very difficult.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

While you can divide hosta nearly anytime, I have the best luck with them in
the spring, just before the leaves start to unroll.

The primary method I use is to use a shovel to dig out the entire plant.
You need to insert the shovel about 4-6 inches from the periphery of the
plant. If it is well established, you may need to insert the shovel in
several places to loosen the plant. You can then get the shovel under the
plant and start prying. To make the job easier, water well the night before
you want to dig the plant. After it is out of the ground, I use a Japanese
folding saw or a large serrated kitchen knife (8 - 10 inches) and cut the
plant into segment. Try to position the knife so it damages the fewest
stems. I cut the plant in half and then split each half, and continue until
you have new clumps the size you desire. Larger clumps will yield fewer
large plants. I seldom divide even a large plant into more than six or
eight pieces, especial if it has already leafed out.

Before dividing the plant, make sure the area where you want to plant the
divisions is prepped. I try to dig a hole or trench that is at least twice
as wide and deep as the root mass I will plant. I like to mix a lot of
organic matter (compost, peat, etc.) in with the soil and add a handful of
high phosphate fertilizer. Plant the division at the same level they were
originally and water well. Unless you are in a very cool area, I would
expect some wilting. If they are fully leafed out, then they will look
shabby for the rest of the season. I would think about holing off until
fall or may early next spring.