Old 04-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Jupiter

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 14:26:49 +0000, mikeyw
wrote:

Guys,

Go easy on me as it's my 1st post but i've found this flower / weed
growing in abundance in my shaded flower bed. No flowers as yet but the
stuff is rapidly filling the bed. I guess it must be a weed but would
like clarification before pulling it all out !!

I live in North Yorkshire in case this is a reginal weed !!

TIA,
Mike.

|Filename: P1020600.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2801|

Looks suspiciously like Rose Bay Willow Herb, an annual very fast
growing weed which is extremely prolific. If allowed to flower and
seed (which it produces in millions, each with its own little
parachute), not only will it happily fill your entire garden, but
your neighbours as well.
It's not regional to North Yorkshire, but will grow just about
anywhere. Old bombsites and abandoned industrial premises used to be
absolutely full of it. Very characteristic of old railway sidings and
goods yards too. Once it's seeded it will be present for years. Any
disturbance of the soil will bring seeds to the surface and they will
readily germinate. Good news is that it's easily pulled out, but you
will have to keep an eye out for new seedlings.