Old 05-06-2005, 04:47 AM
Banks2070

Default Lots of Newbee Questions

Hi all,
I'm in Columbus Ohio and have been reading quite a bit about ponds. I just
dug and filled my first pond...it's about 600 gallons I'm guessing. I'm
still debating some things and hope you can help:

1. It's in shade for the most part but does get some sun through the trees
in the AM. With the falling bird poop, seeds from trees and leaves, what
type of a filter should I use?

2. What pump should run the above filter?

3. If my liner springs a leak, what do you do in a case like this? When I
dug my pond, I hit a trash pit in the era of the early 1900's...found some
nice broken glass, barb wire, rusty nails etc. I think I took all
precautions but who knows.

4. I'm putting a small water fall in. I have an old cast iron hand pump (the
kind you'd find under a wind mill) and I'd like to rig the water to trickle
out of it. It'll be up about 4 feet and the out. What type of pump should I
use for this...or should I use the same pump to run the filter???

5. Any drawings or pictures of how the plumbing on these systems work would
be great! I'm on a budget so DIY things are great!

Thanks all!
Allen