Old 05-06-2005, 04:18 AM
Paul A. Ergh

It really isn't as much as it may seem like. With the fluvals connected to
the bio-wheel pros there is really very little movement created by them as
the output is split across the two standard fluval outputs and 4 bio-wheel
pros. One of the power heads has the CO2 output going into its air intake
so it can't be shut off unless I rework my CO2 injection. It is also an
auto-rotating style head so it doesn't create a constant flow in single
direction.

I did turn off the second power head to see if is better or worse.
Initially it is clear that it makes it harder for the CO2 to be absorbed as
the additional movement was helping the bubbles get circulated and absorbed.
It has also drastically cut down the amount of "swaying" effect of the plant
leaves that I liked so much. However, a couple of the fish have started to
come back out. So, I will leave it this way for a while and see how it
goes.

On 2005-06-03, Paul A. Ergh wrote:
- 2 Fluval 304s (260 gph each) attached to 4 bio-wheel pros
- 2 powerheads rated at ~250gph each

That sounds like a lot of movement to me! I have just kept HOB filters
for years and never had a problem my plants. They move around plenty
just from the filter flow and from the fish swimming around.

Mostly, I try to keep them moving enough to the water doesn't stagnate
around the leaves - that tends to cause BGA growth. I'd try losing the
powerheads, if I were in your place.

--
Ross Vandegrift

man in the bonds of Hell."