Old 05-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Pat Kiewicz

RWL said:

What is the name of the blue / white / lavender colored wildflowers
growing along the roadsides currently in central PA. A couple of us
at work had heard them called "Phlox", but they don't look like the
Phlox in my wildflower book and I can't find anything else that
matches them.

The plants are about 18-24" tall. The flowers have 4 petals in
cruciate shape, and are maybe 3/4" in diamter. The flowers are in
clusters at the top of the stems. The leaves are narrow and
elongated.

I agree with Sue/SugarChile: sounds like Dame's Rocket (Hesperis
matronalis), a non-native (but widely spread) plant in the cabbage family.

(attributed to Don Marti)