Old 05-06-2005, 08:19 PM
tenplay

Default Questions re buying a lawnmower

I have a large grassy weedy area that needs regular mowing. I went by
Sears last night and was floored with all the choices of mowers. Please
answer a few questions for me:

1. I am attracted to the self-propelled gas-powered models. What is
the advantage of a variable speed model over a single speed? The area
to mow is relatively flat with a couple of sizeable dips/depressions.

2. Most of them had Briggs-Stratton motors. One had a Honda motor.
The ones I am interested in are 5 to 7 hp with most being 6.5 hp. Any
thoughts on make and motor size?

3. Most had 21 inch cuts but a couple were 22 inches. It seems that
the 22 inch would do the work a little faster but may be less maneuverable.

4. Most had regular size wheels but a couple had large back wheels.
Would the bumpy terrain benefit much from the larger back wheels? Any
other benefits?

5. One had a push-button starter while most started by pulling a
rope-starter. A couple said that they started faster and easier because
of a some kind of "hotter engine" technology.

Guess those are my questions for now. They are all in the $250-400
price range. Thanks for your advice/suggestions.