Old 05-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alan Gould" wrote after..Mike asked

Go easy on me as it's my 1st post but i've found this flower / weed
growing in abundance in my shaded flower bed. No flowers as yet but the
stuff is rapidly filling the bed. I guess it must be a weed but would
like clarification before pulling it all out !!

I live in North Yorkshire in case this is a reginal weed !!

I sometimes say there is no such thing as a weed, there are only natural
plants and cultivated plants. Many natural wild flowers though are
highly regarded in gardens. A more acceptable description of a weed is a
plant growing where it is not intended to. Thus a rose would be a weed
in a lawn, and lawn grass would be weeds in a rose-bed. A dock might be
seen as a weed wherever it grows - unless it is Sorrel, the edible dock.

Some plants are classed as weeds because they are invasive, but there
are many very useful and cultivated invasive plants - mint for just one
example. In the end each gardener decides whether or not they like the
plants in their garden and acts accordingly.

Which is why I have a beautiful self sown specimen of Caper Spurge at the
bottom of our garden, a weed on the allotment, true, but not in my garden.
It's a wonder it's not actually grown more.

--
Regards
Bob