Old 05-06-2005, 06:46 PM
p.mc

Original post

I read on this group that you should nip the top off your tomato

plants
after four trusses have set. Could someone please clarify what this

means
please.

Snip

When the flowers are over, the tomatoes begin to develop. They don't
spring to life as full sized tomatoes, they start as less than pea sized
green spheres. The appearance of these spheres on a truss is what is
meant by 'setting'.

The tomato plant will grow steadily upwards, producing trusses at
intervals along its stem. When it has grown long enough to produce four
trusses of flowers which have set, use the fingernails of your first
finger and thumb to pinch off the very end of the stem so that it
doesn't grow any further.
--
Kay

Thanks to all, now that's perfectly clear...... "We've all to walk before we
can run."