Old 06-06-2005, 02:26 AM
Winston Smith

I had good luck with the "Landscape Mixture". It's a combination of fescue,
rye and other seeds. The rye sprouts quickly to help with erosion and
doesn't come back the next year. The other seeds take longer but they are
hardier plants. I don't know beans about growing grass and it worked for
me. One guy on here made the comment that it was "pasture". I think that
was supposed to be an insult but I didn't see him volunteering to help me
pay for a new sod lawn either. For what it's worth, a year later my lawn is
looking good. If that's what other people term as "pasture" I'll take it.
It was cheap and easy and it beats the hell out of mud and soil erosion.
Good Luck!

"Paul H. Smith" wrote in message
. ..
New house, no rear lawn, very little shade, and no green thumb. Tried
generic fescue mid spring, covered with hay, and watered faithfully with
very little results. Didn't aerate. Should I try some type of creeping
fescue or centipede or similar? Sounds to me like that would provide
faster and more thorough coverage. Would a "creeping" grass be more
heat/sun tolerant? Bermuda in front doing well. Does fescue or seed in
general need to be covered with dirt to germinate? Live just north of
Atlanta. Need something that tolerates little shade (for now) and a lot
of heat and humidity. And some instructions for seeding.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul