Old 05-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

In article . com,
spenny writes
I find the best way to get results is to layer a suitable shoot ie. lay
a strong growing low shoot along the ground and make a slit in the
shoot, being careful not to cut right through, then bury the shoot
about two inches deep.

Never layered a cutting from a clematis, if slitting stem which way?
across or longways? If choosing place to slit stem do you do an
internodal site or elsewhere?

You don't need to leave it attached, nor does it need slitting. If you
cut a length of stem so it has two nodes on it, and just bury it in the
soil (outside), you'll get two plants - one at each node - which you can
separate when they are established.

I've never had one fail - well, not when I've kept the ground moist.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/