Old 05-06-2005, 10:21 PM
Kay

In article ,
writes
Hi,

How does grass grow? I know that sounds a silly question, but as a
newbie gardener, I think of plants as flowering, to produce fruit, the
seeds in which grow into new plants. but of course, we cut our grass
before any flowering can occur.

I know that say strawberries also reproduce another way: by producing
a runner. That may not be the technical term, but like I said, I am a
beginner. Is this how grass grows too?

Yes.

And no. Because 'grass' is not a single plant but a huge number of
different species. Some of them are perennial, carrying on for year
after year, and, although they flower, some of them rely on reproducing
vegetatively by underground 'runners' - dramatically so for couch,
Agropyron repens.

Others are annual, growing, flowering, seeding and dying, and they rely
more on the seeds.

That said, some of the plants we think of as 'annual', like runner
beans, are in fact perennial in their home countries but are killed off
by our winters - I don't know whether this applies to any of the grasses
we grow.

--
Kay