Old 05-06-2005, 10:36 PM
pied piper

wrote in message
Hi,

How does grass grow? I know that sounds a silly question, but as a
newbie gardener, I think of plants as flowering, to produce fruit, the
seeds in which grow into new plants. but of course, we cut our grass
before any flowering can occur.

I know that say strawberries also reproduce another way: by producing
a runner. That may not be the technical term, but like I said, I am a
beginner. Is this how grass grows too?

I ask all this because we just moved to a house with a terrible lawn
and terrible soil. We decided to dig up all the grass and took away
the top inch or two of the rubble that passed for soil. We put down
new soil and we thought about turf, but in the end we settled for
seed.

After two or three weeks the seed began to grow. Great. But now some
of the old grass has started to grow back. Perhaps we did not dig deep
enough to get rid of all the roots? This coarser grass seems to be
spreading; which is why I ask, could it be that one grass plant is
producing runners from which more grass grows? In which case, will the
whole lawn be overwhelmed with the old grass again soon?

Is there any way to remove the old grass? I worry that even if I
remove the random patches I have now, whether the grass next door will
spread back under the fence?

Thanks for your help.

grass grows same as many other plants however there is a diference with
species of grass monocotelydens grow just one stalk and we generally cut
before the plant flowers and seeds which is why we have to nurture the lawn
to keep the plant healthy.
However some grasses are stoloniferous and spread outwards these are
generally weed grasses and not good for a lawn .
Scarifying regularly helps stop the weed grasses spreading encourage your
good grass with regular watering feeding grooming dressing etc and maintain
a healthy sward