Old 05-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Mike Lyle

[...]
After two or three weeks the seed began to grow. Great. But now

some
of the old grass has started to grow back. Perhaps we did not dig

deep
enough to get rid of all the roots? This coarser grass seems to be
spreading; which is why I ask, could it be that one grass plant is
producing runners from which more grass grows? In which case, will

the
whole lawn be overwhelmed with the old grass again soon?

Is there any way to remove the old grass? I worry that even if I
remove the random patches I have now, whether the grass next door

will
spread back under the fence?

I wouldn't worry about it. Most coarse grasses give up when mowed
regularly, and apart from a few thugs it won't matter if they don't.
You may have couch, aka twitch, by the sound of it: it sends out
runners, and is a problem weed in beds, but not in a lawn, in my own
experience.

If you gently pull up a few samples, couch will look like this:
http://www.doctorgreenfingers.co.uk/...ouch-grass.jpg

--
Mike.