Old 06-06-2005, 03:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 12:19:36 -0700, tenplay wrote:

I have a large grassy weedy area that needs regular mowing. I went by
Sears last night and was floored with all the choices of mowers. Please
answer a few questions for me:

1. I am attracted to the self-propelled gas-powered models. What is
the advantage of a variable speed model over a single speed? The area
to mow is relatively flat with a couple of sizeable dips/depressions.

How large an area? Variable speed what? Variable ground speed or variable
motor speed. Ground speed variability is nice when dealing with overgrown
areas, detail mowing, etc. Motor speed (blade rpms) are usually best
left on the highest setting.

3. Most had 21 inch cuts but a couple were 22 inches. It seems that
the 22 inch would do the work a little faster but may be less maneuverable.

I'd consider this issue a very low priority.

5. One had a push-button starter while most started by pulling a
rope-starter. A couple said that they started faster and easier because
of a some kind of "hotter engine" technology.

Got a bad shoulder? If so, rope starters can be difficult. But electric
ignition adds a battery and weight.

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you interested in exercise, or just
getting it done as fast as possible? How often do you intend to mow?
What other problems are there in mowing this area (west of the Cascades,
in the PNW, you often have to mow damp grass or on damp soil part of the year,
for instance).

Personally, I'd be looking at engine quality and type (I hate two-cycle
engines) and the material the mower deck is constructed of, as my first
pass of selection.