Old 06-06-2005, 06:04 AM
sherwindu

tenplay wrote:

I have a large grassy weedy area that needs regular mowing. I went by
Sears last night and was floored with all the choices of mowers. Please
answer a few questions for me:

1. I am attracted to the self-propelled gas-powered models. What is
the advantage of a variable speed model over a single speed? The area
to mow is relatively flat with a couple of sizeable dips/depressions.

There are times when a fast speed works best, as when the grass is not
too high and dry. Other times, you may want to slow the pace down so
that the mower effectively does more cutting for any given length. I would
recommend a mulching mower, so speed determines effectively how much
mulching is being done. Also, it is nice to be able to set the mower to a pace
which matches your particular energy level at any given time. Any sizable
lawn would be handled best with a self-propelled model

2. Most of them had Briggs-Stratton motors. One had a Honda motor.
The ones I am interested in are 5 to 7 hp with most being 6.5 hp. Any
thoughts on make and motor size?

On bad thing about Briggs-Stratton motors that I have noticed on my neighbor's
mowers is that there is no accessible way to set a choke. My Honda has a
external control, to allow choking in cold weather. However, the Briggs engines are very
reluctant starters in cold weather, probably because they are preset for a nominal
outside air temperature, and there are no choke controls on the models I have seen.

3. Most had 21 inch cuts but a couple were 22 inches. It seems that
the 22 inch would do the work a little faster but may be less maneuverable.

4. Most had regular size wheels but a couple had large back wheels.
Would the bumpy terrain benefit much from the larger back wheels? Any
other benefits?

It might be a bigger factor on a self-propelled unit, which might get better
traction with the larger wheels.

5. One had a push-button starter while most started by pulling a
rope-starter. A couple said that they started faster and easier because
of a some kind of "hotter engine" technology.

As stated earlier, unless you have physical problems, a pull cord is superior.
A well designed engine should start rather effortlessly with a pull cord. My
20 year old Honda almost always starts on the first pull.

I agree with the idea of getting a 4-stroke model. They run smoother and
with less pollution. If the pattern with outboards is similar, the government
may step in soon and require this.

Guess those are my questions for now. They are all in the $250-400
price range. Thanks for your advice/suggestions.