Old 19-10-2002, 01:35 AM
Dave Hunt

Default Artichokes - What's in a name

I have, for the first time, grown Jerusalem Artichokes - just two of
them.
Until a couple of days ago they were ten feet high and flowering.
Then the gales blew them down - even though they were staked with two
inch square hardwood stakes!
One of them exposed all its roots so we ate them - and rather pleasant
they were, too.

Now to the subject ... why are two apparently completely different
plants given the same name?
What on earth is there in common between Globe Artichokes and Jerusalem
Artichokes?
--

The plant came to England from the Americas via France and Italy The name
Girasole was it's Italian name and Jerusalem is a corruption of Girasole,(

Gardening - make sure you dig them all up otherwise they will take over! I
always dig mine up, them immediately plant a few of them as seed for next
year....they are heavy croppers too so not very many needed

Dave Hunt...Shropshire
----share what you know...learn what you don't----