Old 06-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Jill Tardivel

Foxgloves are selfseeding in my garden in South East Kent, I encourage
them, and they haven't been a problem so far. I've been in this house
for 15 years. My garden is pretty informal and the foxgloves grow in a
couple of beds at the back of the back garden and in some side beds at
the front garden. I think I usually have around 20 to 25 flower spikes
most years.

I move perhaps a dozen self seeded plants that grow in inappropriate
places each year. I find about half of these growing as seedlings in
potted plants on the patio. They seem to survive the move though I
don't give the seedlings much care.

About eight years ago I had a bumper year with over 50 spikes and they
looked magnificent. Don't know what caused it. Hasn't happened since.
Maybe something like this happened to the previous owner.

Jill Tardivel

Nell wrote:
On a large property I have about a dozen foxglove plants at the moment,
all with dark purple flowers and they are beautiful and charming. They
popped up in various places in the early spring along with the weeds and
I plucked many out recognising them immediately, but I left those that
had appeared in attractive or bare positions.

This weekend the previous owner revisited and warned that if I don't
pull this dozen out immediately, the whole property will be covered with
them next year. He says that he spent years trying to get rid of them.
How true is it that they will become a frightful nuisance?

As I drive along country roads and lanes I see a few here and there,
never more than a dozen every half mile or so. If it were true that
they can run riot, I can't see why the verges aren't full of them.