Old 06-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Mike Lyle

sarasara wrote:
Chris Hogg Wrote:
On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 11:36:36 +0000, sarasara
wrote:
-

I need to screen off a farmyard from the house and as there seems

be
no known fast growing hedge that grows no more than 4/5 metres

high I
am looking at the idea of bamboo.

Can anyone suggest a fast growing well spreading bamboo suitable

for
peaty soils?

Thanks,
sara.-

Seems like a good idea in principle, except that I would have

thought
what you _don't_ want is one that spreads, as they can be invasive
and
a real problem. Phyllostachys aurea (or indeed any species of
Phyllostachys) is recommended for hedging. [...]

There are a number of moderately tall, fairly fast growing shrubs
that
are used for hedging (e.g. Olearia traversii, Eleagnus ebbingei,
Escallonia species) that get to the sort of height you want, but
they're not fully hardy so it depends where you are.

--
Chris

E-mail: christopher[dot]hogg[at]virgin[dot]netThanks Chris for a
very comprehesive answer. Where I live is northern

ireland which is damp with long winters and in a peaty area. So I

had
rather discounted shrubs, through infront of any hedging some
rhodendrum would be introduced which eventually would grow up to do
the job.

Escallonias do well in many parts of N. Ireland.

I have heard that you need to put down a vertical strip of heavy
plastic lining to keep the bamboos from spreading, though my

childhood
memories of bamboo were that they were very easy to cut back and

the
ones cut down were useful for the garden.

Some bamboos will penetrate even tough plastic sheeting if they want
to.

I have since discovered a suppliers website in the uk and they have
the variety you suggested and two others listed as good hedging
bamboos, so just awaiting a quote.

Sure you are right about the cost so I propose to start with just

one
plant and subdivide new shoots to replant further along until the
whole area is covered.....make take a couple of years!
Regards,
Sara.

If bamboo is what your design needs, great. But if it's just because
you're looking for something to do the job, had you thought about
what would be in keeping with a farming area? I don't know your
situation, but in some places they look very much out of place.
Perhaps a more traditional, and cheaper and probably quicker, mixed
deciduous hedge (hawthorn, blackthorn, a few elders, maybe a damson
or three) would suit you better, and you'd get flowers in due season.
What's growing well in the local hedges?

--
Mike.