Old 06-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Mike Lyle

Nell wrote:
On a large property I have about a dozen foxglove plants at the
moment, all with dark purple flowers and they are beautiful and
charming. They popped up in various places in the early spring

along
with the weeds and I plucked many out recognising them immediately,
but I left those that had appeared in attractive or bare positions.

This weekend the previous owner revisited and warned that if I

don't
pull this dozen out immediately, the whole property will be covered
with them next year. He says that he spent years trying to get rid
of them. How true is it that they will become a frightful nuisance?

As I drive along country roads and lanes I see a few here and

there,
never more than a dozen every half mile or so. If it were true

that
they can run riot, I can't see why the verges aren't full of them.

The verges get cut every year, and if it's done before most of the
foxgloves set seed, they won't be able to spread. I don't see the
previous owner's problem: they look good, and are easily controlled
by cutting, as they're biennials. I've never found them to be
particularly good competitors with other plants, despite their big
leaves; but I suppose that depends on local conditions.

--
Mike.