Old 06-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Victoria Clare

Nell wrote in :

On a large property I have about a dozen foxglove plants at the moment,
all with dark purple flowers and they are beautiful and charming. They
popped up in various places in the early spring along with the weeds and
I plucked many out recognising them immediately, but I left those that
had appeared in attractive or bare positions.

This weekend the previous owner revisited and warned that if I don't
pull this dozen out immediately, the whole property will be covered with
them next year. He says that he spent years trying to get rid of them.
How true is it that they will become a frightful nuisance?

Not true at all in my garden, where I have allowed them to self-seed for
the last 5 years. I get the odd one in the patio cracks, and it can be a
little difficult to dislodge them from there if you don't catch them early,
but dandelions are much worse.

Possibly the previous owner just didn't like them, or is one of those
people who consider all self-seeding or native plants to be noxious weeds?

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall