Old 06-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Dennis Edward

Default Growing peppers from seeds

I took the advice given by people in this group a few weeks ago. I got some
sterilized, light (mossy rather than heavy soil) potting soil, a growing
tray and a dome. rather than using the tray inserts, I just put the potting
soil directly in the tray, and I sowed all my remaining pepper seeds.
Watered it lightly and placed the whole thing up on top of our downstairs
fridge for extra warmth.

Well whaddaya know, it works! I've got a few dozen pepper seedlings poking
their little heads up. Remains to be seen if I can get past the damping-off
demon, but I've got some no-damp.

From what I can tell, my mistakes in the past have been:

- Using too heavy of a growing medium
- Pusing seeds in too deep
- Not quite warm enough. They seem to require more than room temp.
- Impatience. Regardless of what the seed packets say, they take longer to
germinate.
- Letting the growing medium dry out (and then drowning it to get it wet).

I'm going to grow these suckers, and I'm going to try to overwinter them in
our crawlspace. I'll let you know what happens.