Old 06-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Bob Hobden

Alan wrote after...
Bob replied
Determinate (Bush) means the plant height is genetically governed, it will
always insist on bushing out and will eventually grow a flowering spur at
the end of it's main stem, what there is of one, so stopping it's upward
growth.
As I said, "Roma" is a classic example of this type. (nice tomato too but
seems very prone to Blight)

Indeterminate (Cordon) means it will just keep elongating it's main trunk,
there are only ever lateral flowering spurs so no natural end to it's
upward
growth.
Most tomatoes are this type perhaps because they are easier to grow/ripen.
The Bush type do tend to hide their fruit amongst the leaves and are short
so the fruit is closer to the ground.

If, like most people, you have only ever grown Indeterminate then try some
"Roma" and you will see the difference in growth type, it's very obvious
almost from the start and no matter how you try they will not grow as
cordons.

Thanks for that Bob. Yes, from what you describe I suppose we have only
grown Indeterminate. We tend to keep to the reliable old favourites now.
This season we are growing Harbinger and Ailsa Craig in the greenhouse,
as cordons of course. They already have small toms on their lower
trusses and they look set for a bumper crop. Outside we have some
Gardener's Delight which we usually grow as bush, but I am trying them
as cordon this time to see how they perform. They have done very well as
cordons inside, but outside a lot depends on what sort of summer we get.

I suspect that after a few years growing things we all tend to stick with
the varieties we know and have success with, although we have changed our
favourite Toms over the years.
We only grow Toms outside on the allotments, although I have planted out a
neighbours greenhouse for them with the same varieties, so this year we have
Ferline (French, blight resistant); Panovvy; and Alicante ('cause it came
free with the Kitchen Garden).
Not growing Brigade (excellent for cooking, sauces, etc) this year because I
couldn't find any seed which is a real shame, and we decided Roma is just to
susceptible to blight to bother with.

--
Regards
Bob