Old 06-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Anthony Ward contains these words:

The canteen at my workplace wants to improve their recycling
statistics and so is bagging up the used coffee grounds from the
machine and offering this free to customers for their garden compost
bins.
A colleague has said this is not a good idea because the grounds are
too acidic.

I've heard this too, and personally, I'd ignore it. I put rhubarb leaves
on mine...

I would appreciate knowing the thoughts of experienced
gardeners on this please. I am not particularly wanting to grow
acid-loving plants.
I have also heard that one should not add citrus peel to the compost
bin for the same reason. Does the group agree?

It's a bit slow to decompose, but not terribly acidic. Chop it up a bit
and bung it on

If you find your compost is a bit too acidic (most is acidic, anyway)
you can always adjust the pH with some ground chalk, often sold as
'garden lime'.

--
Rusty
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who read binary and