Old 06-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Kay

In article , Anthony Ward
writes
The canteen at my workplace wants to improve their recycling
statistics and so is bagging up the used coffee grounds from the
machine and offering this free to customers for their garden compost
bins.
A colleague has said this is not a good idea because the grounds are
too acidic. I would appreciate knowing the thoughts of experienced
gardeners on this please. I am not particularly wanting to grow
acid-loving plants.

You are unlikely to be creating a compost heap purely of coffee grounds.

But even if you were -
The best compost I ever made used to consist, daily, of a couple of
handfuls of potato and veg peelings, the tea leaves from about 6 pots of
lapsang suchong tea and a bucket of urine.

I have also heard that one should not add citrus peel to the compost
bin for the same reason. Does the group agree?

No
--
Kay