Old 07-06-2005, 01:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Valerie Perlowitz wrote:
I live in Northern Virginia (outside of Washington, DC) and I am looking
for recommendations for good automatic watering systems that I can use
when I go on vacation. I specifically need names of companies and the
types of devices I should get (misters, drip, etc.) The bonsai that I
have are small and relatively young. I just need something to keep them
watered as it gets hotter and drier here in Virginia when I am not home
to water.

I use a "Dripworks" and Dripworks-like system, using about
100 feet of 1/2 inch tubing laid on the ground throughout my
garden and under my bonsai tables with the 1/4 inch tubing
pulled up through holes drilled in my tables and 2
sprayer/misters for each table, then sprayer/misters on
poles here and there in my garden to water it and the bonsai
that are on individual tables. My trees are mostly small,
too. I have a timer set to water every evening. I water
myself in the a.m. for those little trees that always need
it in my climate.

Most garden catalogs sell "kits" but you need to read what's
included carefully. You want a kit with at least 50 feet of
1/2 inch tubing and 50 feet of 1/4 inch tubing and 15-20
misters, plus a few connectors so you can have tubing going
off in a couple of directions, if necessary.

Lowes and Home Depot sell the tubing (1 inch, 1/2 inch and
1/4 inch) all the connectors, a water filter, etc. and the
misters separately, but you'll probably end up spending more
that way.

If you want this just for vacations, you will, of course,
need to test it out carefully for a few days before each
vacation. Tubing that is used infrequently can get clogged,
or critters can chew through the tubing to get at the water
(or something!). ALWAYS replace the batteries in the timer
before each vacation, even if the trips are only a couple of
months apart.

There's a picture or two of my system on the IBC gallery. I
think in the "Not Necessarily Bonsai" section, but it may be
in the "Main" forum where someone else started the thread.
Search for "tables" or posts under my name.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++