Old 07-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Are you KIDDING? 90, read "ninety", like dude you mean, XC, figures
nine-uh zero I say again nine-uh zero, naw deg, neunzig,
quatre-vingts-dix, novanta, heads of elderflowers for two gallons of
wine? That will smell like three years' worth of cat pee soaked into
the carpet. About a pint of stripped elderflowers will flavour and
aromatise a gallon of strong sweet white wine for dessert use enough
to blow your socks off; I'd use max two heads for a gallon of
ordinary grape, whitecurrant, or gooseberry wine, and I wouldn't
leave them in very long, either. You don't apply the flowers till
_after_ the primary fermentation, whose bubbling would blow away most
of the aroma: pop them in there in a nylon stocking with a handful of
sterilized marbles (I know mine are.)

Aye, in my early winemaking days I hadn't got a recipe for elderflower
wine, so I followed the one for dandelion.

When it came to tasting, my girlfiend at the time dubbed it 'Cat's
Oxter'. It was rank and vastly overflavoured.

As luck would have it, I'd acquired several hundredweight of sad dessert
grapes from Covent Garden, and made a very bland and characterless white
wine from them.

I decided that nothing would be lost if I blended the gallon of cat's
oxter with the eight gallons of plonk. It turned out like a high-quality
Muscat, and was absolute nectar.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/