Old 07-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 12:57:30 +0100, Nell
wrote:

On a large property I have about a dozen foxglove plants at the moment,
all with dark purple flowers and they are beautiful and charming. They
popped up in various places in the early spring along with the weeds and
I plucked many out recognising them immediately, but I left those that
had appeared in attractive or bare positions.

This weekend the previous owner revisited and warned that if I don't
pull this dozen out immediately, the whole property will be covered with
them next year. He says that he spent years trying to get rid of them.
How true is it that they will become a frightful nuisance?

As I drive along country roads and lanes I see a few here and there,
never more than a dozen every half mile or so. If it were true that
they can run riot, I can't see why the verges aren't full of them.

I have a wonderful show this year of white and purple foxgloves. For
the last couple of years I have let them set seed and then vigorously
shaken the seed over my garden. If they come up where they won't be
right I move them or just pull them upand compost them. Once you have
done this for at least two years, you shouls always have them, as they
are biennials.
They can never become a nuisance except to any weirdos who don't like
foxgloves.

Pam in Bristol