Old 07-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Warren

VMWOOD wrote:
Cleome, marigold, pansy, datura, snapdragon, petunia & moss rose to
name a few. A few snapdragons in well protected areas will survive the
winter. I live in IA Zone 5 but we had some -5 to -10 weather this last
winter. In some of the milder winters I have had whole beds of
snapdragons survive.

Marv-Montezuma, IA
http://community.webshots.com/user/vmwood

There was a guy who for years lived in Wisconsin on the Wisconsin-Illinois
border. One day a survey crew came by, and discovered that his property was
actually in Illinois. When interviewed by a TV station, he was asked what he
thought of the situation. He replied: "Thank goodness I won't have to live
through another hard Wisconsin winter!"

But seriously, when I lived in Wisconsin the only annual that my parents had
that over-wintered, and self-seeded was the moss rose. And that's why I was
so surprised that I can't get them to do the same now that I'm in zone 8 in
Oregon. I never saw any other annuals come back, but then again, my parents
weren't very adventurous in the gardening arena. They viewed the moss roses
as an invasive weed, and eventually widened the driveway, paving over their
patch. (Five months of the year that part of the driveway was still buried
under snow pushed off the rest of the driveway, so they didn't gain all that
much by doing so.)

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
What's on TV? See the new fall network schedules online:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/tele.../fall2005.html