Old 07-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Laura J

"ed" wrote in message

"Penelope Periwinkle" wrote in message
On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:03:14 GMT, "Laura J" wrote:

I planted some containers of herbs on my front porch and yesterday found
3
of the basil plants missing. Just completely pulled up and gone, no
roots,
no leaves, no nothing left but a hole.

Sounds like squirrels to me.

Penelope

Black birds are using them for their nests. They even get my smaller
tomato plants this time of the year.

Hm, now that is an interesting idea. My DH the bird-lover says we don't
have blackbirds around here but maybe it's another type of bird. I had some
extra basil seedlings so I put them in the same spot the missing ones were
and, lo and behold, those were gone the next day. The weird thing is that I
have about 20 other basil seedings, along with many very small parsley,
marjoram and a couple others and they haven't touched the other ones. Just
the ones in that one large pot. Bizarre. Anyway, I'm not going to replace
those and I got some netting to cover up everything else so hopefully that
will keep the critters off for a little while at least.

LauraJ