Old 19-10-2002, 06:54 PM
Don't Bother, Never Checked

Default Yew cuttings

Experience with yew seems variable, but time is necessary. Here in
Italy close to 100% strike is normal and even 90cm hedge trimmings
with 30 cms below ground give good results. A friend recently
disinterred 20 yew saplings from hedge trimmings which had struck
roots in his compost heap!! Perhaps they need bottom heat?! I wonder
of the age of the parent is important - as some have suggested in the
propagation literature.

Paul, Duino, NE Italy

tout.at.xnet.point.it

Eur Ing John Rye wrote in message ...
Hello

In article ,
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson wrote:
The message
from "Carol Russell" contains
these words:

Are yew cuttings ok in the open ground, my books say cold frame (not
close).

Regards
Art

They don't talke all that easily in my experience, so I think a more
closed environment would give you more chance of success.
Janet G

Last year I got about 70% to take putting 5 cuttings to a 5" pot, in a cold
frame. I guess you would get rather less outdoors, but if a friend is
trimming a yew hedge there is plenty of cutting material.

John