Old 07-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Harold Walker

"Andrew Welham" wrote in message

Dear All
This is my first year of growing tomatoes.
I have some in a green house in grow bags which get watered 3 times a day
automatically to stop the heat getting to them and drying them out. The
rest are in the garden in a sunny position ,which gets watered every
evening.
I am growing two varieties Cherry and Beef eaters.
My questions are around when to feed them and also what shoots to pick
off.
I have been given various advice about plucking off all shoots which grow
from the joints between the leaf branches and the main trunk. Other people
say not to bother. Which is correct?
Also when is the best time to start to add tomato food?

All advice and options will be gratefully received.

Many
Thanks
Andrew

As to taking out the side shoot......most prefer to do so but it is not
essential but you might land up with a mini jungle unable to find many of
the tomatoes which might just rot on the vine without you knowing it....H