Old 07-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Emrys Davies

"Andrew Welham" wrote

Dear All
This is my first year of growing tomatoes.
I have some in a green house in grow bags which get watered 3 times a
day automatically to stop the heat getting to them and drying them

out.
The rest are in the garden in a sunny position ,which gets watered

every
evening.
I am growing two varieties Cherry and Beef eaters.
My questions are around when to feed them
and also what shoots to pick off.
I have been given various advice about plucking off all shoots which
grow from the joints between the leaf branches and the main trunk.

Other
people say not to bother. Which is correct?

Remove all side shoots http://tinyurl.com/9vzy9
as soon as they appear or you will have an unwieldy plant and inferior
fruit. Also, dense tomato foliage causes disease due to poor
circulation.

Also when is the best time to start to add tomato food?

Feed as soon as the fruits beging to swell. Tomorite is specially
prepared for this purpose.

When the flowers are fully developed, syringe the plants daily with
clear tepid water to assist polination. Or polinate by splitting an end
of a small cane and trapping cotton wool in the split, tease it into a
ball, and then gently dab the open flowers with the wool. That is my
preferred method.

Stop (Pinch out the leader) the plant when six trusses (Four for outside
tomatoes) have formed. That will accelerate the swelling and ripening
of the fruit. If you allow more trusses to form it will be 'chutney
making' time.

When leaves become old and spent remove them to prevent disease and
increase air circulation.
http://tinyurl.com/aeyzp

Hope that helps, but post back if in doubt.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.