Old 07-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Anthony Ward

Default Fox digging up new lawn

I have created my first lawn and decided to do it from seed. I made
what I hoped would be a good bed from the existing soil, horse manure
and bagged up topsoil and created a smooth level surface. The seed has
grown quite well and the desied effect is gradually taking shape. The
only trouble is that a fox keeps coming and digging holes in it. I
thought he would be put off when the grass thickened up a bit but no.
He is sometimes bringing food to bury. I have heard of various
suggestions for deterring cats but what about foxes?
Also I have been surprised by how much damage a blackbird can do just
by pecking for worms along the edges where the grass isn't so thick. I
blamed the fox for this when I saw the disturbed soil until I saw the
balckbird doing it.
I expect you have guessed I am one of those 'pristine lawn' types!