Old 07-06-2005, 09:55 PM
randy

Default insect egg identification

Hi,
Thanks in advance for your advice.

I'm wondering what these might be, and if I should be concerned, and
then what action to take.

We've recently discovered 4 sliver, shiny, insect eggs in our kitchen.
The eggs are about as big in diameter as a dime. The surface is smooth
and glassy, but not transparent. They are almost like a paint ball,
except for the many wiggling leggs that protrude through the surface.
(maybe as many as eight)

My daughter was home with her boyfriend when she found one and squished
it under the leg of a chair. Again in the kitchen. It splattered red
blood onto the floor, enough to need a few paper towels to clean up. I
only saw the papper towels - it was definately red blood!

I found one of these a few days ago, and my wife had found one the day
before that. We got rid of them in the trash can. The one I found, I
wrapped in a few paper towels and squashed in my hand. I could tell
that inside the paper, the egg exploded and left a lot of juice but I
really did'nt care to know more!

Not to steer you in a specific direction, but two weeks ago, we were in
Northern Wisconsin (2 hours form here by car) and we found a tick on
the dog when we got home. We removed the tick. Could these new eggs be
related?

thanks again for any info you may have, or suggestion on where to find
out more.

Randy